About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Maree Clarkson! I’m passionate about sketching and painting, chickens, animals, birds, nature, Moleskine note books, the beach, crystals, succulents, useless information, technology, blogging, my MAC, my Land Rover, positivity, gardening and discovering anything new in life! Living in Africa is something very special and I am constantly delighted, amused and amazed by the things I see, do and experience. Join me in some of these experiences. I am a Watercolour artist and Watercolours are my preferred medium. For me, the unpredictability and uncontrollable nature of watercolour makes it the most exciting and expressive medium of all. Having a certain picture in your mind and then seeing something slightly different, yet wonderful, come to life, is a thrilling experience! With watercolours, no two artists can produce the same result, the paint will just not allow you! Click on 'View my complete profile' to see a list of all my blogs.

Friday 23 September 2016

Cactus love

I just love the cacti growing in my garden and here I've done a few quick ink sketches on note paper of them in pots and in my garden.

Echinopsis oxygona cactus
Black ink sketch and watercolour of a cactus in a pot in my garden (Tarlton, Gauteng, South Africa) on note paper

The only cactus genus that is more confusing than Echinopsis is that of Opuntia. In both cases, there is a great number of species (over 100) and a tremendous amount of variation.

The main factor that ties these plants together are their very large, showy flowers. These flowers are all very similar in structure – funnel shaped, with hairy/wooly scaled floral tubes which give rise to hairy, globular fruit filled with a soft, mushy pulp. The flowers seldom last more than a single day and may be diurnal or nocturnal depending on the species.

Sometimes known as hedgehog cactus, sea-urchin cactus or Easter lily cactus, Echinopsis is native to South America.

Opuntia - Prickly pear cactus

my cactus waits patiently for summer
stuffed into a pot by the window
rain or snow cactus sits meditating
so deep you would think asleep -
would be more fitting. but I know better
get too close and cactus is alive and willing
sharp as ever and prickly with it.
- nivek

Sand dollar catus

Astrophytum asterias (this is next on my list for my collection) – a small, round, spineless cactus, up to 2.4 inches (6 cm) tall and up to 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter. The disc-shaped body is non-branched, flat, dark green in colour, with 5 – 11 (generally 8) ribs. In the middle of each rib there are woolly areoles. Native to small parts of Texas in the United States and Mexico. Also known as Sea Urchin Cactus, Star Cactus.

Cactus sunset - from my imagination

Guardian against sunset
the ancient cactus stands …

Trichocereus cactus

Trichocereus hybrids, sometimes called torch cacti, put on magnificent displays of large, brilliant flowers. Collectors will throw impromptu parties when all their plants bloom on the same day!

::